In Three Years, Mobile Teams Seize K49b in Contraband Amid Threats and Violence

In the three years since “Mobile Teams” were formed to eliminate illegal trade in the country, they seized more than K49.7 billion worth of smuggled goods, according to the Central Committee to Eliminate Illegal Trade.
U Win Myint, minister for commerce and also chairman of the Committee, said, “We formed Mobile Teams because some merchants are engaged in illegal trade to evade taxes. So the merchants who pay the taxes cannot compete with them. Not only individual merchants but many small and medium enterprises are also affected.”

Still, the seizure of this much contraband did not go unopposed. U Win Myint said, “My friends told me that I might lose my job as a minister if I form these Mobile Teams. It is also very dangerous for me personally. I have received threats and my team members have also been threatened. They had been punched, they had even been threatened with guns. To be frank, this is not the responsibility of the Ministry of Commerce. But as I have been entrusted with this responsibility I will perform with diligence.”
The seized items include fake alcoholic beverages, frozen meat and other food unfit for consumption, and counterfeit medicines.
Mobile Teams were formed to combat illegal trade because trade volume did not rise significantly even after a reduction in check points and lowered tariffs. Parliament in 2012 sent a petition to the President to take necessary actions against smugglers.
These Mobile Teams were formed with personnel from the Commerce Ministry, Customs Department, Consumer Affairs Department, Myanmar Police Force and General Administration Departments from townships concerned.
The teams only operate in five percent of Myanmar, along main smuggling routes, especially the Muse-Mandalay highway, Myawaddy-Yangon route and in Myeik Archipelago.
From:Myanmar Business Today